Follow Me On Pinterest!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Selah's $25 Dresser


This has been my favorite project to date.  I had been looking for a dresser for a few months.  Garage sales, resale shops, Goodwill; I could not find what I wanted anywhere!  Finally, in July, I found this treasure at Goodwill:


Sure, it is a little beat up and looks rough around the edges, but all of the drawers work, and it is exactly the type of dresser I had been searching for.
I bought this dresser for $20


As you can see from the picture, some of the drawers looked a little crooked, so before I painted, I took time to figure out which drawer went in which spot the best.  Once I figured that out, I labeled them so that I would remember when putting them back in.  I bought a few cans of black and pink spray paint from Wal-Mart (roughly $5, I bought the cheap stuff).  I removed the hardware from the dresser and began the transformation.  I painted the dresser itself black.  The drawers I alternated pink and black (3 pink, 2 black).



It was incredibly humid outside as a storm was coming in, which made spray painting a chore.  Every time I sprayed, it was as if the paint just sat in the air.  Needless to say, even with a sheet down on the garage floor, the paint floated around so much; it put a nice pink coat on part of the garage floor!  I did the first 2 coats the day after I bought the dresser, and then finished with the last 2 coats the next afternoon.  I did not sand the dresser; I only wiped it down with a clean rag before painting.  Once the paint was dry the second day, I put all the hardware back on (I didn’t have to buy new hardware because I like what it already had on it!  Bonus!) and then moved the dresser into Selah’s room. The dresser was missing a panel under the bottom drawer, so I stapled black fabric that I already had (for a future Pinterest project) to replace it.



I am absolutely in love with the way this turned out.  It is not perfect but it serves its purpose.  And the best part about it is:  $20 dresser + $5 spray-paint = $25 awesome dresser.  I’d say $25 well spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment